Friday, December 12, 2008

A Christmas Treat That You Need

OK, need may be a strong word, but I can't imagine Christmas without this yummy treat. And you most likely have all these ingredients handy, so you can make it today!
My friend Kelly calls and asks me for this recipe every year- without fail. I let her off the hook because she has triplets that are Ollie's age, so she can call me every year. And it gives us a brief chance to catch up, too! This year I typed it to her in an e-mail, so now I'm sharing it with you!

Chocolate Toffee Bark
Ingredients:
40 saltine crackers (1 sleeve) you might use less than this, but have it handy
2 sticks butter this is how every good recipe should start- and don't even think about margarine
1 cup brown sugar I use light, but I think dark would be okay, too
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 cup finely chopped walnuts "finely chopped" is key here- break out your chopper

Directions:
Pre- heat oven to 425 degrees.
Line saltines on the bottom of a cookie sheet. I have to use a brownie pan because you have to be able to fit whatever pan you use in the freezer- be sure to check it first!
Bring butter and sugar to a boil for 2 minutes while stirring. It will get good and bubbly
Spoon butter/ sugar mixture evenly over crackers. Don't worry about the goo only staying on top of the crackers. It will eventually be everywhere, so it's okay if some gets under there.
Place cookie sheet in oven for 5-6 minutes.
Remove cookie sheet from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crackers.
Let sit for one minute and use a spatula to spread chocolate chips over crackers.
Sprinkle nuts on top.
Place cookie sheet in freezer for 20 minutes.
Remove from freezer and break into pieces. The easiest way to "break into pieces" is to take a butter knife and stab a portion to crack it open. Just keep doing this to break it up.
Yields about 5 little bags full for neighbors or just enough for one afternoon with me and you if you invite me over!
Enjoy!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright- you got me interested. I'll give it a try!

Post a Comment

You're leaving a comment? Thanks!
You make my day!
I'd hug you, but this screen makes it a little awkward.
xoxo,
Hillary

Blog Widget by LinkWithin