Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fall Favorite: Microwave Apple Crisp

Since we have covered the best things of fall: football and consignment sales, I need to add one more of the absolute best things of the season: the FOOD!

I love soups, breads, anything pumpkin {except the seeds; I know- crazy} and Apples.
This recipe is a classic because it is quick, easy and microwavable! I got it from my mother in law and it's a staple for our family in the fall.

Here are the picture directions and the whole recipe is included below.

Take 5-6 medium size green apples {make sure this week's coupons are in the back}
Sept 09.6 030
and peel them.
Sept 09.6 029
Your mess will resemble this. Sept 09.6 032
Then chop them up like so. Just cut into big pieces and then into a little bit smaller than bite size pieces. Place in a 9 x 13 or casserole dish or another microwavable container.
Make sure the container will fit in the microwave.
Sept 09.6 031
At this point, make sure you children aren't eating the pumpkin bread you made earlier like vultures.
Surely the younger one won't have a bargaining system with the older.
No, not civilized children.
Sept 09.6 033
In a big bowl, combine 1 cup of flower and 1 cup of brown sugar.
Then add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 tsp of salt and mix them all together.
Sept 09.6 036
Add 1 stick of butter not melted. The reason is because it melts in the microwave and makes the crust a yummy, delicious crunchy. The best way to chop it up in there, though is to make it room temperature and coarsely chop it into the mixture.

The quickest way to make it room temp is to set it in a bowl of warm water.
Isn't that a neat tip? I just heard it the other day from a blog! {If I had any sort of memory I would link that person, but alas, my brain is mush. It has been picked by afore-mentioned vultures.}
Sept 09.6 038
Then add 3/4 cup of oatmeal. Mix in lightly.
Sept 09.6 039
Sprinkle mixture evenly on top of apples.
Sept 09.6 041
Microwave on high for 7 minutes and rotate for another 7 minutes.
OR- if you are super Fain-See like me, you might have a microwave that rotates ALL BY ITSELF. In that case, microwave for 14 minutes.

During those 14 minutes, you can either clean that huge mess that's reflected in the microwave there...
Sept 09.6 042
Or you can go hang out with those kiddos who apparently have not eaten a thing all day.
You see how frail, petite and small they are {since my newly minted 4 year old towers above the kitchen counters}...
Sept 09.6 044
And then you pull out this yum-mo dish and enjoy it's crusty, appley dessert!
Obviously you have to taste-test a bite, right?
Sept 09.6 050

For you cut and paste types {hello, my Type A friends!}, here is the recipe. I hope you enjoy and stove off your own vultures; they will surely be circling this dessert.

Microwave Apple Crisp
Ingredients:
* 5 cups tart apples {sliced or chopped} I use green apples and chop them.
* 1 cup flour
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 stick butter {not melted}
* 3/4 cup oatmeal

Directions:
Place chopped apples in microwavable dish.
Mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, then coarsely chop in butter.
Mix in oatmeal lightly.
Sprinkle mixture evenly on top of apples.

Microwave on high for 7 minutes. Rotate and cook another 7 minutes.

For more recipes, check out Kelly's Korner and Vanderbilt Wife today. They are sure to keep you full of ideas for the fall!

And don't forget to register for the Harry Connick, Jr. CD Giveaway going on now until Monday! Wouldn't you really be weak in the knees with some Harry and some Apple Crisp?! Now, that's perfection!

21 comments:

pheather said...

Hi, Hillary!
My mom used to make apple crisp in the microwave all the time when I was growing up. It was/is one of my favorite desserts! I have been meaning to ask her for the microwave recipe for the longest time, but it always slips my mind. Now I have it right here, thanks to you!! We are not at home right now, otherwise I would be making this tonight for sure! YUM!
Heather :)
P.S. I know I still need to upload a blogger picture.

Lydia said...

You are too funny! I was about to leave a comment to politely ask you to put this in some format that I could cut and paste! You beat me too it! :-) Gracias.
Anyway, this looks YUMMY and is ideal for serious chefs like myself whose main form of baking is in that "fain-see" oven called the microwave.
Happy Friday!

Lydia said...

PS-I'll have to send you my fruit cobbler recipe...it does require turning on the REAL oven, but no mixing involved. SO EASY!

Alyssa said...

oh yum! My favorite is anything similar to apple pie!

Heather said...

This looks so yummy!! I can not wait to try it!! What cute little helpers you have!

TriciaNae said...

that looks so yummie!! i have to try this.

Dawn said...

i wish i had apples... right now!
i love the tip about making sure the baking dish fits in the microwave!!! how did you come up with that tip??

anyway, i will be making this over the weekend!

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

I didn't know apple crisp was possible in the microwave!! Thanks for sharing!! Oh, how I LOVE fall!!

Thanks for praying for us in Atlanta - the blogging community has been so incredible!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Yum!

I had to laugh at the one comment "...my mom made (blank) in the microwave all the time..." Household microwaves weren't even INVENTED when I was growing up!! Oh lordy, I'm getting old!

Thanks for the recipe - love me some apple crisp!

Jenn said...

That looks so yummy and super simple to boot :) Thanks for sharing!!!

Liz Mince said...

Hi Hillary,

I know this has nothing to do with apple crisp or trays, and it might be a bit too late, (in case y'all have Big Spring Jam plans), but the Smithsonian Magazine is sponsoring a "Free Museum Day" tomorrow, Sept. 26, and the US Space & Rocket Center is free tomorrow for one person plus guest for each e-mail address with a "downloadable" free pass at smithsonianmag.com/museumday

(Whew! We're watching Schoolhouse Rock right now. Man, the above sentence would be a bear to diagram.)

Anyway, free museum (not Imax, or any extras), and even w/o the pass, the Center says ALL gift shop items are 40% off that day, too. Details are on page 18 of Thursday's Hvs Times' "Go Magazine."

Have a fun weekend everyone!

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

I love apples.
I love microwave cooking.
I love you.

The end.

Annikke said...

This sounds so yummy. I am having company for dinner next Saturday...guess what they are getting for dessert?

Jenny said...

that looks so yummy and easy-peasy!! Now you need to give us the pumpkin bread recipe since it's obviously a hit as well. Happy weekend!

Kristen said...

What a great, easy way to enjoy apples! It is obvious that I don't use my microwave to its fullest capacity.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

HI, Hillary, you have a very pretty blog! I can say that I'm very happy that I moved to WP, so far it's been great. I do all my posts inside now & I can stretch my pics to fit my space perfectly and don't have the spacing problems that Blogger had at all. I think it depends on where you want to go with your blog. Do you want to build a business with it OR are you just doing it for fun? For me, it started out just on a whim and turned into a part-time business that I love. So, the best solution for me was to get my own name & more control over MY blog, which Blogger sometimes doesn't have. So, just think about that. If you're a serious blogger, then I would say, move to WP and don't look back!

Rachel B said...

Yummy, yummy!! Love pumpkin bread, ever made pumpkin cream cheese to go with, divine!!

It can't be fall without apples, I could smell it through the computer, mmmm. I am going to have to get some to bake with this weekend.

I need to go clean off my laptop, it's covered in drool!

Claire said...

Oh so yummy!

I love apples!

Cxx

Anonymous said...

MMM, I love apple crisp. And in the microwave?! Can't wait to try this!

Dresser Girl said...

I LOVE apple crisp!! And if I had read this BEFORE having to make ANOTHER run to Food Lion (who forgets toilet paper??) I totally would have bought all the ingredients for it.

Anonymous said...

I made this tonight for my family and we all LOVED it. Quick, easy and delish! Definitely adding to our recipe binder!

Thanks!

Post a Comment

You're leaving a comment? Thanks!
You make my day!
I'd hug you, but this screen makes it a little awkward.
xoxo,
Hillary

Blog Widget by LinkWithin