Monday, September 7, 2009

Pickin' and Grinnin'

In my book, any weekend where there have been fewer showers than there have been days is a good weekend. This holiday weekend has only provided me one shower {is that too gross to admit? You'll be happy to know it was before church on Sunday.} and tons of loafing. I mean serious, hard core, watching-Disney-movie-marathon vegging. It has been heavenly. And a perfect ending to a wonderful birthday week.

I am doing my best to reply to all your kind e-mails and comments, but please know that I appreciate them! You definitely made me feel loved and I am so thankful for YOU.

On the homefront, a little secret that Jason likes to keep is that he can play the guitar.
This didn't used to be a secret when he was wooing girls like emoi, but since he got the girl, the guitars have slowly found a new home in the dusty corners of our basement. Thankfully, those blue jean shorts are gone, as well, but I digress. It was the 90s, so we'll give him a pass.

Our youth leader, Tony, found out that Jason could play and was in need of some help with Youth Worship last Sunday night. So, I got to be a groupie again!! Nothing like a 30 year old 31 year old married woman shrilling for her husband in front of a hundred teenagers that will make you cringe. Well, there were several of us youth leader girls who shrieked, "We love you" all together that surely made everyone cringe, so it wasn't just me. But it was fun. We giggled and snorted and didn't care what the kids thought.

It was almost like when he played More Than Words at a party when we were dating and I knew I had the coolest and most sought after boyfriend ever. That strum, strum, knock-the-guitar move will get the girl every time.

These days I love seeing him teach Ollie how to play. It was the highlight of my day. I'll even share it with you.
For a little background, Ollie is "playing" a ukelele that was used as a decoration in his nursery. Here it is on top of the changing table 4+ years ago:

Ollie's nursery

{Ollie was named after my dad, who was named after his great-grandfather who was a cowboy and one of the founders of my hometown, thus the cowboy-ish theme.}

And here it is actually being used today {please excuse woman talking on this video; I'm sure it isn't me}:


Pickin' and Grinnin' from The Other Mama on Vimeo.

I hope Ollie will be able to teach Jason a few things since he's clearly a child prodigy. Or maybe Jason will eventually be able to pass along a few girl-catching tricks to our little man.
I'm sure a little strumming a-la Extreme will still do the trick in 12 or so years, don't you think? Let's just hope and pray that hair doesn't make a revival.

8 comments:

Lori said...

Ok, I just watched that video and was instantly transported back to high school. What a trip! Glad that you had a great weekend! :) (Still grinning over my win...)

Unreasonable Grace said...

Great weekends for us both. But I think I had 2 showers ... only because I had to wash all four dogs on Saturday.

We both won! Good for us!

I'm glad we don't play each other this year.

gatorly,
Kim

Katie said...

Cute. My heart swells as well when I see my hubs in such moments with the kiddos. Makes me feel good to know I "caught" one of the good guys. Looks like you did too.

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa @ The Littlest Lobo said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one skipping showers on the weekend!
I'm disappointed I didn't win any prizes this week, but I really enjoyed the whole birthday extravaganza. Hope you have a great year ahead!

Kara @ His, Hers and Ours said...

Too cute!! I love how Jason told Ollie it was "an interesting rendition". So sweet!!

And we're tied for showers. Well, unless of course, playing in the rain counts as a shower.

P.S. I left you a little something on my blog!

Tina said...

SO SWEET! It will not be long and he will be playing just as good as daddy!!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

WOW! The talent.... snicker, snicker! ;0)

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Post a Comment

You're leaving a comment? Thanks!
You make my day!
I'd hug you, but this screen makes it a little awkward.
xoxo,
Hillary

Blog Widget by LinkWithin