Friday, September 4, 2009

Football Fanatics:: Diptacular Edition

The breeze is blowing across the plains, the face paint is half off at Party City and there is a faint hint of bourbon in the air. It must be FOOTBALL SEASON!
WOOHOO!!

You might know we are big Auburn fans {but we try not to be the obnoxious kind; just the fun kind}. But if wearing your jersey to pre-school the day before opening game day is obnoxious, well then... I guess we're those people.

2 little tigers

But you can't tell me these flip flops aren't cute! With matching polish? The pedicure was a birthday treat from sweet hubs and I hopped right on over there yesterday on my birthday.

My own way of prep

One of my favorite football treats is Texas Caviar. I've got mine ready in the fridge for tomorrow and I'll show you how easy it is to make. {Full recipe to follow at the end or you can print it off here.}

The essential ingredients: {Note that 20% more Fritos made me 75% happier}
ingredients
Drain and rinse the black eyed peas with jalapenos.
Really rinse!
Add rotel.
Then cut open avacado.
The secret is to find a great ripe avacado and I couldn't find one today! The secret is in the squoosh. But these just had to make do.
Cut all the way around the avacado lengthwise to the pit.
cut down center
Then twist it open. I couldn't take a picture of that since it requires two hands, but you get it- twist!
and twist it open
Then, especially for not-so-ripe avacados like these, you might need to use the knife this way to get the pit out. I kind of wedge it in there and then use the knife like a lever to get it out. Save those pits!
How to get the pit out
Then you scoop out the meat with a tablespoon. Because you will never use those for anything else. I have 12 that stay stacked in my drawer with nothing to do.
And isn't it weird to call the insides "meat"? It just seems wrong.
use spoon to get the meat out
Then dice the 2 avacados like so
diced avacado
And throw into the bowl.
starting to be colorful
And my recipe calls for 1/2 of purple onion, but I went with 1/3 this time. And I prefer to chop those boogers in the electric chopper because I don't like to cry when I've gone through the trouble of putting on makeup.
avoid cutting onion- chop it!
Add to the bowl. Isn't it starting to look colorful?
colorful
Then add 3/4 cup of Zesty Italian dressing {Publix brand is fine- as you see}.
ready to mix
Then- the best part: Cilantro! I love it, so I used about this much, but use whatever you would like. It balances out the onion, so go with more if you don't like as much onion taste.
cilarntro
Take the leaves off and chop.
chopped cilantro
Then add to the bowl and mix!
mix it all
Add 1 tbsp. lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and you are ready to taste test!
Fruit of your labor!
YUMMY!!

Be sure to store in a sealed container in the fridge and keep the avacado pits in there to keep the avacado fresh and lime green-ish.
Leave the avacado pits in

Here is the whole recipe for you or click here so you can print it out for yourself.

The Other Mama’s Texas Caviar
http://www.theothermama.com/

Ingredients:2 (15.5 oz.) cans black eyed peas with jalapeƱo peppers, rinsed and drained
1 (10 oz.) can diced tomato and green chilies
2 avocados, diced
½ purple onion, diced
¾ cup zesty Italian salad dressing
1 tbsp. lime juice
¼ tsp. salt
Fresh cilantro to taste

Instructions:Combine all and mix! Refrigerate before serving to let all the flavors mingle or eat right away if you can’t stand it. Stays fresh in sealed container in refrigerator for up to a week, but it has never lasted that long at our house!

Here's our team getting ready for the big weekend. Ollie has always sounded like he says "War Keagle" and we are working on that. And poor Henry has to get a word in edge wise around here.

Ready for Football Season from The Other Mama on Vimeo.

Check out BooMama's DipTacular Event for tons of dip recipes for this weekend.

Don't forget! There are still 3 Birthday Bash Giveaways open! Still up for grabs are: The Basket of Hope {with devotional, Bible, Pillow and Cross Bookmark}, a Blog Design Makeover and The Basket of Home Accents {with treats from Uppercase Living, Southern Living at Home and the (in)courage store!

Have a great relaxing long weekend! May you eat your weight in Texas Caviar and not gain a pound.

24 comments:

annieck said...

YUMMO! Too much work for me, but YUMMO!
I am so excited about football! ROLL TIDE!!!

Laura said...

next time we see each other, remind me to demonstrate an easier avocado method for you! I learned from living in Texas/marrying a chef!
Oh, and Roll Tide!

Tara said...

I thought there were only obnoxious Alabama fans. ;)

Love the dip. I've had it before and basically stood beside it the whole night at a "get together" devouring it!

WDE!!!

CLS said...

Video is too cute! That is the sweetest little War Eagle I have ever heard. If you ask the boys I use to Nanny for what do we say about Alabama? Zachary would say "Roll Tide Yuck!"

Tina said...

The recipe sounds good! War Eagle to you!! I am living with an Auburn fan stuck in the middle of Tuscaloosa!!

Sabrina said...

War Eagle! Nuff said!

Pastor Sherill said...

War Eagle! Love those flip flops and I'll have to try your recipe!

Brandi said...

Oh, Hillary...what??? Auburn?!! I guess I'll have to overlook that. ROOOOOOLL TIDE!!!

We make a very similar dip, but we use black beans, corn, fresh tomatoes, EVOO, and a little lime. Very YUMMY! :)

pheather said...

YUM! I'm going to try that recipe straight away! We make something similar without the black-eyed peas and Italian dressing, but I love both of those so I'm sure they'll make it even more yummy! Your boys are just too cute! We're excited for football, too, even though our team (FSU) has been extremely sucky these past few years. Phil and I went there when we were Nat'l Championship good, so it's hard to live through these stinky years. Have a great weekend!

chrisannan said...

War Eagle!! We are sportin' the jersey and cheer outfit over here!! A Friday tradition for daycare!!

Unreasonable Grace said...

SEC! SEC! SEC!

At least we have THAT in common.

Me bein' a major Gator fan and all.

We do have the best conference, though, and I'll always pull for any SEC team, unless they are playing the Gators.

I bought 20% more fritos last night to go with my big ole pot of spicy chili - sour cream, cheese and fritos for topping.

Here's to both our teams whippin' up on whoever we are playing tonight!

Oh, and don't forget. We have Tebow. I think he's God's favorite football player.

And he's my future son-in-law ... I'm believing' anyway. Just gotta introduce my youngest to him ... but he's not answering my facebook messages!

Hmmmmph!

gatorly,
Kim

Amy said...

We are SO excited about today! My husband is right there with Ollie in his enthusiasm. Ross watched this clip with me and couldn't believe how much Henry looks like you. My request...teach those boys some trash talk. It's never too early;)
Thanks for the comment about changing the date on my post. I'm such a grandma with technology and that's probably an insult to the grandmas out there.
I LOVE your blog! My favorite would be anytime you leave advice to your former self. Too funny!
Sorry I'm not much of a comment leaver. My time is usually very limited on the computer. I do good to add a post on my blog every week or so.
I didn't make this dip b/c I can't be so involved, just too much effort. I did follow the diptacular link and find something very easy to do.
Enjoy today.
WAR EAGLE!

Beth said...

Yummy-- I want to try that recipe!

You're kids looked way cute in their Auburn shirts. They would have looked even cuter if they had on Alabama shirts :-) I bet Roll Tide is easier to say than War Eagle too... I'll let you know when Nathan's older.

Melissa @ The Littlest Lobo said...

I have never heard about putting the avocado pit in with the dip to keep it from turning brown! That is such an awesome tip and I'm definitely going to try it! When you said save the pits I thought you were going to start an avocado tree with them. Too funny! Great pics to go with the recipe. And Roll Tide!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

I could eat those boys up with a spoon!

Oh, and the yummy dip too!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Sarah said...

Yum!! We are Gator fans...who send their kids to school with jerseys on the day before a game. Should we start a support group :)

Sarah said...

Yum!! We are Gator fans...who send their kids to school with jerseys on the day before a game. Should we start a support group :)

Stacy K said...

Made the 'Dip' and it was great!

ohAmanda said...

Seriously? IF you keep the pits in it keeps the avocados green?! How do you know this?!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

War Eagle! Yummy recipe... thanks for sharing!

Jennifer H.

Unknown said...

This is a little different than the version I have had. Sounds delish! Will have to make it for a game soon!

Susannah said...

I really LOVE this recipe, I'm going to have to use it this weekend! Thanks Hillary!

Mary @ Giving Up On Perfect said...

Seriously, you wrote about Texas Caviar for the Diptacular? Because I swear to you I ALMOST WROTE ABOUT THE SAME DARNED THING! I got so far as to realize I didn’t have any pictures of my own and snagged a couple from Flickr before deciding to go with something I’d already written.

I can’t even say great minds think alike. Nope. I’m a little too freaked out.

Unknown said...

Hillary, Great job with the Texas Caviar; recipe and pictures were fabulous! You could host Food Network!! I want to try your version of the dip with avocado so I printed off the recipe. Thanks. And please let your little football fans sport their favorite team shirts to pre-school. They look really coool!
Have a blessed day, Norma

Post a Comment

You're leaving a comment? Thanks!
You make my day!
I'd hug you, but this screen makes it a little awkward.
xoxo,
Hillary

Blog Widget by LinkWithin